I do want to talk about badger stuff.

Blemish: Martin Wilson
Talbot the Badger: Tugs the Badger
Tricia: Kate James

Editor: Garrett Schultz
Production Assistance: Garrett Schultz
Episode Art: Justin Osterling
Extra Art: Jessica Osterout

Adventureless_Hero · February 7, 2017 at 11:13 am

Great episode guys! I’m interested to see what the repercussions of firing Blemish will be. And, just to be safe, I’d check that basement. But of course this podcast isn’t real, so no need for me to actually worry.

Missed the Mysterious Man insulting everyone this time around.

the-great-dragon · March 3, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I think the evidence pointing toward Usidore was a…RED HERRING.

Devin Harkness · April 27, 2017 at 1:28 am

I have LOVED every Magic Tavern episode since the beginning. This episode changed my perspective, and not in a good way. Here’s why. Some ugly Earth ideas seem to be seeping into Foon. Let me explain.

First, in this episode, the only recurring female character on the show, Tricia, gets treated like crap…again. Tricia is usually allowed to at least speak her piece, but in this episode she is basically told by Craig to keep her mouth shut. “Can I do some outro stuff,” she asks. Craig shuts her down because “the Big Guy” has expressly forbidden her from doing so. It’s not a funny joke. It’s male dominance. Look at our current political climate. Women need all the respect they can get, especially in the arts. I always felt like Magic Tavern was a show that treated female characters with as much respect as male characters. Suddenly I am doubting that.

This is a complex issue. As a white, male, improviser, I am part of the problem women face in improv. In my 20 years on the stage, I have taught, directed, performed and watched enough improv to know that the stories women tell me of how they are treated by males on stage, are true. Male improvisers pigeonhole women into stereotypical roles, moms, prostitutes, and whatever roles the men need. We talk over women constantly. We shut their ideas down, we bulldoze and steamroll. That’s what happened when Tricia opened her mouth. Boys’ Night used to be charming. Now it feels menacing.

Second, Blemish gets treated like crap and expelled from the Vermilion Minotaur for reasons that seem borderline xenophobic. Blemish is a mixed race person, which seems to be part of his “evilness.” He’s half dwarf. His name is forgotten constantly. He is a very low status character, seldom seen because he is busy preparing food and presumably running the kitchen. His only crime seems to be that he is weird and lonely. He pukes up cats, steals Post-it notes from Arnie and creates a wife from flour sacks in the basement. Our heroes detest him because he is different, he has beliefs that feel threatening to them. So they expel him, ‘deport’ him, when according to thy story line, he seems to have as much right to be there as Arnie and the gang. He is given no trial, his being Blemish is reason enough to condemn him. I’m half expecting these characters, whom I have come to love, to build a wall to keep out folks like Blemish.

I have listened to you all perform improv for enough hours to know that you as performers respect women, you try to break stereotypes, and you illuminate Earth Stuff by satirizing it. Bravo to you for that. We artists have a great opportunity–some say responsibility–to help create, through our art, the kind of world we want to live in. We all know that Foon, much like Earth, can be a brutal place. It can also be a beautiful place, where our Heroes shun sexism, slay xenophobia, meaningfully explore different belief systems and look beneath the surface of the weirdest Blemishes.

Kathleen · September 29, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Thank you. It’s easy for people to say “don’t bring the real world into it” when that isn’t the world they’re living in. All sorts of people listen to this podcast (and I continue to really dig it, but you bring up good points and I’m glad you spoke your mind)!

Crabby · October 2, 2017 at 1:35 pm

LOL! The Hello from the MagicTavern world isn’t a world that you are living in either. It’s fantasy, not reality. Learn the difference.

That’s right, all sorts of people listen to the podcast, but I don’t think any of them are half-dwarves, shape-shifting badgers, or wizards.

Lighten up people! You all take your fantasy way too seriously.

Crabby · April 29, 2017 at 1:23 pm

LOL @ Devin Harkness. Lighten up, hellofromthemagictavern is supposed to be an escape. Don’t bring your own real world baggage here.

paleoman · July 6, 2017 at 11:32 am

@Devin Harkness
I think woman would be portrayed better if they had more women but they don’t and that’s less to do with their decision making and more to do with the fact that three men sat down to make this show.

The Blemish thing you wrote is nonsense tho. Blemish has been a supporter of the Dark Lord since earlier on in the show and none of the three main characters are the same species to begin with.